Snowmobile Trail Conditions Report
View Report

See moose snowmobiling in Vermont







Advertise your business here.

What you need to know about snowmobiling in Vermont.

State Registration

All snowmobiles, not legally registered in another state or province must be registered in Vermont. If you are already registered in your home state or province, you do not need to 
re-register in Vermont, but you must join a local club and purchase a VAST TMA (see below).

Registration costs
$25 for a Vermont Resident and $32 for a Non-Vermont Resident. 
Price subject to change without notice.

TMA requirement

Vast Memberships are available at Mikes Gas, Kerrigans Cafe & Deli , Before Auto and Burke Cottage Rentals in West Burke.  Please support the Drift Skippers Club by designating us as your club for dues. (These businesses will accept cash or checks.)

Download VAST Paperwork **

** Print form and mail to Gail Weed, 2316  US Route 5, West Burke, VT 05871

A TMA (Trail Maintenance Assessment/Trail Pass) must be purchased from a club and displayed according to Vermont law. TMA’s can only be purchased from a club’s membership chairperson and many local businesses. 
Choose the TMA that is right for you:
Regular Snowmobile
 – a snowmobile that is less than 15-years old!

5-Day Pass – Any Resident or Non- Resident may purchase a five-day pass. The five-day pass is not subject to the “Early Bird” program. The price of a five-day pass DOES NOT include liability insurance as part of the price. 
Family Snowmobile – First two TMAs sold at the “Early Bird” or “Regular Season” rate. The third, fourth, fifth or any subsequent TMAs sold at 1/2 the applicable rate. (All snowmobiles must be registered to the same family member or the same family member’s name must appear on each registration as the co-owner.)

Insurance requirements

All individuals operating a snowmobile in Vermont on the statewide snowmobile trails 
system, shall have a liability insurance policy or bond in the amounts of at least $25,000 for one person and $50,000 for two or more persons killed or injured and $10,000 for damages to property in any one accident.
Persons caught operating a snowmobile without the required liability coverage are subject to large fines.

Safety Course Requirement

Six-hour safety course must be completed and passed by anyone born after July 1, 1983.

Certified safety course 
Individuals 12 years of age or older must have taken a certified safety course and carry that certification with them to be presented upon demand of a law enforcement officer.

Age Requirements

12 to 12, but not yet 16 years of age 
While traveling across or on a plowed public highway individual must be directly supervised by an adult, at least 18 years of age.
8 to <12 Eight years of age, but not yet 12
May operate a snowmobile on the VAST trail system without taking the safety course as long 
as they are under the direct supervision of a parent or legal guardian who accepts full liability for the child’s actions.
The child is not allowed to operate a snowmobile on or across a plowed public right-of-way.
0 to <8 Children under the age of eight
May not operate a snowmobile on the VAST trail system at 
any time.

Operating the snowmobile

Speed You must operate your snowmobile at a speed that is reasonable and prudent, taking into consideration current conditions, trail traffic and other hazards present on the trail. Vermont Law, Title 23, Chapter 29

The maximum speed limit on state lands is 35 m.p.h. The use of radar on snowmobile trails is becoming a standard practice. With the use of hand held radar guns, the enforcement of speed limits that are imposed on all state lands, has increased dramatically.

Snowmobiles are subject to posted speed limits on public roads open to snow­mobile traffic.

Snowmobiling While Intoxicated (SWI) Vermont has a tough SWI law. This law covers both drugs and alcohol. While you will be charged with SWI on the VAST trail system, intoxicated snowmobilers operating on a public highway will be charged with DWI. As a result of this violation, you will be assessed points and your driver’s license will be suspended.

A frozen lake is considered a public highway and the maximum speed limit is 50 m.p.h.

If you are involved in an accident, resulting in personal injury, death or property damage in excess of $500, it is your duty to stop and report it to local authorities. You must give your name, address, registration number and the name of the owner of the snowmobile to the party whose person or property is injured. You must also file an accident report with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles within 72 hours.

Your snowmobile equipment requirements:

• Headlight 
• Red rear light 
• Windshield
 free from jagged or sharp edges

• Fully functional brake in good condition
• Colored lens covers on headlights are illegal.
• Windshields are mandatory or the operator must wear eye glasses, goggles or a protective face shield.
Helmets are mandatory for all riders on the VAST trail system.
Exhaust Systems
Efficient muffler and such other equipment and devices as may be required to meet the noise level specifications of not more than 73 decibels on the A scale at 50 feet in a normal operating environment.
Replacement Exhaust System 
It is against Vermont law to sell a replacement exhaust system that exceeds the manufacturer’s original equipment specifications. Violation of this law will result in a fine of $500 for the snowmobile operator and a $500 fine for the person selling the illegal exhaust system. No by-pass of a muffler system is allowed. Sound pollution annoys many individuals and threatens the future of our sport.